Monday 9 February 2015

JANUARY LIP BUYS 2015

So as my little bio to the side says, I may or may not be extremely addicted to lip products. I am, as it says, a firm believer that one can't have too many lip products, so I'm starting this series (or whatever, call it what you will) lip buys. If I think that I've purchased a sufficient amount of lip products in one month, or two or three, I'll make a blog post displaying all my buys with swatches and reviews! Hope you'll enjoy!


L-R: Red Velvet, Tiramisu, Devil's Food Cake






















First off is the NYX Cosmetics Pure Decadence Butter Gloss set. It's one of their limited edition Valentine's Day sets, and especially since they had 25% off all NYX at Target until this Wednesday, I got this for around $10.45, making them around $3.50 each. Considering their RRPs are $9.95 each, they're definitely a steal! They come with three shades; Red Velvet; what I think is a blue toned cherry red on my skin tone, and what the NYX website says is a 'deep red'. Tiramisu; a pink toned nude on my skin tone, and what the NYX website says is a 'brown', which I definitely don't agree with. You can see in the swatches below that it does look brown, but it has pink tones, and not a brown brown. Devil's Food Cake is my favourite out of them all, as it's a dark plum purple, and what the website says is a deep plum which I do agree with. I like wearing it with a sheet wash over my lips, and building up the colour as well. I'd been wanting Red Velvet and Devil's Food Cake for a while now anyway, and even though I already own Tiramisu, it can be a great gift anytime! The formula smells HEAVENLY and are so smooth and do glide on like butter on the lips (without the taste and the oily feel) and set well. They do need touchups like any gloss, but they're one of my favourite formulas. Not too sticky, and not too slippery. Only drawback is that after a while (2-4 hours) they get quite sticky and gather in the lines of my lips which can be noticed close up, and clings to the inside of my lips which is where my lips start to flake first, and I end up picking it off. Other than that, I'm up for a great deal, anytime.



L-R: 107, 111, 103

Next up are the Kate Moss by Rimmel Lipsticks. Chemist Warehouse were having a 50% off all cosmetics a couple weeks back, so why not take advantage of that? I picked up two of her matte formulas in 107 and 111, Kiss of Life. I also picked up one of the regular formulas in 103. 107 is a nice dark, vampy berry red on me, 111 is a beautiful cherry red shade, and 103 is a nude on my skin tone. The formulas are beautiful - smooth, creamy and moisturising. 107 and 111 are extremely moisturising as far as matte lipsticks go, and although some people hate the smell, I honestly don't mind it. The matte line is more transfer proof than the normal ones, and wear like normal lipsticks. If you were to wear them for a while with eating, sometimes they cling to dry patches and stain unevenly, so it's better to reapply. They're great buys and I definitely recommend! The shade range is pretty good too, and definitely more affordable than Revlon Matte Lipsticks when they're 50% off too!



L-R: Maybelline Colour Elixir in Raspberry Rhapsody
Rimmel Apocalips in Apocaliptic

My next two buys were also a result of the 50% off all cosmetics sale at Chemist Warehouse, and they were the Maybelline Colour Elixir in Raspberry Rhapsody and the Rimmel Apocalips in Apocaliptic. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to be more daring with my lip colours (as I tend to gravitate towards the rose-pink, natural and brown shades, the MLBBs), and I quite like the purple trend. I'm not that into pinks, as I feel they don't really go with my skintone and I just don't really care for pinks. If I were to go bold, I'd go red or purple, or a deep shade. The Elixirs have a lovely scent, are moisturising, glossy, not too sticky and are great. Raspberry Rhapsody looks like a beautiful purple shade, but it looks pink with a hint of purple on my lips. I like it, not too purple (like the Vision in Violet shade they offer), and not too pink! The colour is also extremely buildable, which I like. Only downside is that the security seal ruined one of the sides of the shiny silver lid, and after a while (4-5 hours) when it starts to fade away and dry, it becomes sticky and the pigmentation clings on to the dry flakes of my lips that start from the inside, so it looks like I have bright pink inner lips. Not the best look, so it's better to wipe off and reapply often. 
The Rimmel Apocalips is like a liquid lipstick - smooth, moisturising, extremely pigmented with a semi-matte finish. Apocaliptic is like a pink-red shade, and it's beautiful. The scent is just like the Rimmel Kate Moss Lipsticks. Only problem it's not transfer proof, and transfers easily and doesn't really stain the lips. If it were to be somewhat transfer proof, I'd love and wear it to death. I haven't tried setting it with transluscent powder though yet, so maybe I'll try that. But other than that, I love it!



L-R: NYX Butter Gloss in Red Velvet, Tiramisu, Devil's Food Cake, Rimmel Kate Moss
Lipstick in 107 (matte), 111 (matte), 103, Maybelline Colour Elixir in Raspberry Rhapsody
and Rimmel Apocalips in Apocaliptic

As you can see with the swatches, I added in pictures of the applicators for the various products (minus the lipstick as theyre just regular bullets). NYX butter glosses are typical doe foot applicators with a spongy feel. Maybelline Elixirs have a slanted tapered applicator with a pointy tip which is perfect for getting in the cupid's bow and the corners of the lips. It also feels super nice on the lips, and it's my favourite applicator to apply with because of how it feels. The Rimmel Apocalips have a doe foot applicator with a well in the middle to pick up more product and also has a spongy feel. The Maybelline Colour Elixirs have the best neck of bottle to take off excess product.


I hope you liked this lip product and haul/review! 

Love, lipgloss and heaps and heaps of lipstick,
- Jess xo

No comments:

Post a Comment